The Napa Women’s Club (NWC) First Edition is committed to the empowerment of women and to the building of strong local communities. Several women of the NWC First Edition are long-standing Club members who have provided oversight, resources and sweat equity to advance the Club throughout the years. The NWC First Edition membership meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 11:30am at the NWC Clubhouse at 218 Franklin Street. Visitors are always welcome.
The Club was organized in 1903 as the New Century Club of Napa, federated in 1912 and was organized and incorporated as the Napa Women’s Club in 1948 by energetic, community-minded women. The Club was founded as a social enterprise to enrich the sense of community within the Napa Valley by empowering, serving and advocating on behalf of women and children.
NWC First Edition members live out the volunteer spirit consistent with efforts of sister Women’s Clubs across the nation and internationally. Club members are challenged to:
- carry out charitable service programs,
- embrace leadership opportunities,
- advance women's societal contributions through personal growth and
- explore creative, recreational and collaborative community benefit pursuits.
Networks and Affiliations
The NWC First Edition is an active member of:
Please check out the websites linked above of the aforementioned organizations or the video linked below for additional information regarding the network of Women’s Clubs.
The NWC First Edition is a grassroots women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others. This mission is achieved by:
- Fundraising to help preserve and maintain a historic structure (the NWC Clubhouse) located in the heart of Napa.
- Offering the historic Clubhouse as a community resource for meetings, functions and special events.
- Partnering with allied nonprofit organizations who are mission-driven to serve and mentor women and children.
- Providing financial resources to local nonprofit organizations to advance efforts that directly support and uplift the lives of women and children.
Built in 1875, the NWC Clubhouse is a historic Craftsman style building in the City of Napa. The structure originally was designed as a one-room schoolhouse and was expanded into a three-room educational building in 1901. It was known then as South Primary School and Franklin Primary School.
Following its use for public education, the structure was repurposed as a church in the 1930’s. The building also served as a preschool, a music school and a home for a children’s theater group.
When the NWC incorporated in 1948 through the California Secretary of State, the club purchased the building and has retained sole ownership since that time. The Clubhouse has faithfully served the NWC’s membership as a hub for meetings, social interactions, community engagement and collaborative pursuits.